Click Here for the Provisional Event Dates for the 2021 NSW, ACT, QLD Interschool Snowsports Championships.
It is with significant disappointment that Snow Australia Interschools and Perisher announce that the 2020 SUBARU SNOW AUSTRALIA Interschools Event, scheduled to be held from 6th to 12th September, will be cancelled.
Snow Australia Interschools has closely monitored and purposefully embraced COVID-19 requirements and developments since early March. Key changes governing NSW Community Sport COVID-19 operations that were introduced on 16 July, together with rising COVID-19 case numbers in NSW and an increase in the Reported NSW Case Locations (‘Hot-Spots’), will prevent a growing number of eligible participants from NSW schools and locations, travelling and competing with certainty at Perisher in September.
The NSW Office of Sport, Snow Australia Interschools, and Perisher are committed to ensuring that the safety, health and well-being of our Event participants, parents, teachers, volunteers, spectators, workers and mountain communities is of absolute priority. The NSW Office of Sport has appropriately mandated that we:
- Take all reasonable steps to minimise the number of spectators attending community sports events, such as Interschool Snowsports.
- Ensure processes are in place to exclude participants (including spectators and officials) if they have attended any of the reported case locations listed on the NSW Health website, which currently totals 40 NSW locations. In addition, we must also minimise co-mingling of participants from different schools / regions, and ensure any spectators comply with 1.5 metres physical distance and have strategies in place to prevent those spectators from different schools / regions and event timeslots, co-mingling.
One of our major 2020 Event objectives was to host an inclusive NSW / ACT / QLD Community Sports activity in the most challenging of years, however these updated public health guidelines and requirements are not conducive to achieving that outcome.
We sincerely thank our School Coordinators, Participants, Parents, Principals, Volunteers, Workers, Resort Staff, Resort and Mountain Communities for their support and acceptance through this most challenging of years.
We also thank our major sponsors – SUBARU, Travelplan Ski, Altitude Lodge Smiggins, for remaining with us in 2020 and supporting our safety-first approach.
Participants that have already entered the competition will receive a refund of the event entry fee, and this will be processed during the next 7-10 days.
We look forward to an exceptional year of Participation, Fun and Renewal in 2021. We will be back bigger and better than ever, and we are also exploring development of a ‘Post-School’ Event during our August States Event week next year, for our current 2020 Year 12 student cohort and other school-leavers.
THANK YOU from the Snow Australia NSW / ACT / QLD Interschools Management Team
CLICK HERE for the Event Status report for the 2020 Interschools Events.
The Northern NSW & QLD Interschools Snowsports Championships and the Australian Interschools Snowsports Championships are now eligible events under the QLD Government Young Athletes Travel Subsidy.
Funding is provided retrospectively of the events and applications must be correctly submitted within six months of attending the event to be eligible.
About the Young Athlete's Travel Subsidy
The Young Athletes Travel Subsidy aims to foster the development of young athletes and support elite athlete pathways by providing financial assistance to help alleviate the costs associated with attending championship events. The travel subsidy provides financial assistance through three event tiers and supports attendance at specific state, national and international events.
Who is eligible?
Applicants eligible to apply for support after attending the event are those who:
- competed or officiated (as a coach, referee or scorer) at an eligible Queensland state or state school event, Australian national or national school event or international event in the past 6 months
- have been residents of Queensland for at least 12 months preceding the event
- were under the age of 18 at the start of the event
- travelled a road distance of at least 250km (one-way) from their place of residence to the event location (check road distances using RACQ’s trip planner)
- flew or travelled by rail a radial distance of at least 250km (one-way) from their place of residence to the event location (check radial distances)
- have participation at the event confirmed by the regional/state/national coach or manager.
What funding is available?
The travel subsidy will allow up to a maximum of $1,200 in financial assistance over the three event tiers, once every two calendar years. Eligible athletes and officials can apply for one event per tier once every two calendar years.
The following travel subsidy amounts are available under the three event tiers:
- state or state school event—$200
- national or national school event—$400